Last weekend, I sat trying to study for the grammar exam I have next week. Our teacher has posted 3 documents with all the terms and terminology we need to know for the exam, believe me it is a lot to remember! Sometimes I found it hard to find a good explanation in our books, so I decided to turn to my “Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary”. The dictionary was a great help. In the back of the dictionary are a lot of pages concerning English grammar, as well other useful subjects concerning what is right and wrong in written and oral English.
Today we had our last grammar lecture, on Monday we will have our last workshop and Thursday is it time for the exam. In our workshop on Monday we will have to sit 2 hours trying to do a pre-exam. Afterwards, we will go trough the pre-exam, and the teacher will answer all the questions we have.
Right now I’m trying to relax about the exam, but it is hard. In side my head are a lot of new words flying around, trying to get me to remember their explanation. Copular verbs, canonical vs. non-canonical, predicate, adjunct and modality among others. My teacher told us e few days ago, that it is no wonder we find it hard to learn all the new terminology, because it is like learning a new language, the meta-language for Grammar. So I guess, it isn’t just a grammar exam I’m, taking next week, it is an exam in Grammar.
You've done well throwing yourself in at the deep end to get a better understanding of grammar! Respect!
ReplyDeleteCould you perhaps remind the class - on the class conference - about the grammar section in ALD? I'm sure others would find this information useful.